Monday, December 18, 2006

I am brillant

This is my elevator story. It happened about two weeks ago now, but I think it's worth re-telling. My boss asked me if I would deliver a box to another company that was doing us a favor. The way she asked set me off. She said would I be willing to do it or should she ask Em or should the little red hen do it -- I have no idea what made her the little red hen that morning, Em had been pulled in several directions with two instructors needing help and with the front door that wasn't unlocked and being told by our boss to re-do her sign b/c it was too confusing, that by saying please use other door, people were going to the building next door and as soon as I came in I got on the phone with the door people so we could get it figured out I didn't see our boss doing anything like that, but whatever. . . . That's not the point of my story. . . .

Anyway, after much teeth pulling etc. I got the address, floor, and person I was supposed to talk to from my boss. I had a pleasant walk to the building and found it very easily. When I got to the elevators things started to get awkward.

Not realizing that the elevator was just arriving, I pushed the elevator call button, I had a little trouble doing this as people were getting off the elevator and walking into me (which should have been a clue). I felt stupid, but got on the elevator. Once there though, I was looking at the floor buttons and I panicked. I knew I was supposed to go to the 13th floor, but I couldn't see the button, I could see a button for the 12th floor and the 14th floor and I remembered seeing a sign that said that this elevator only went to certain floors, but I hadn't thought to check which. I wondered if it was only even numbered floors and then I thought maybe there isn't a 13th floor for superstitious reasons but realized that was stupid, why would two people specifically say the 13th floor if there wasn't one?!

All this happened fairly quickly, and I was about to get off the elevator and re-read the sign and just catch another, but a guy who had seen me call the elevator when it was already there had gotten on the elevator with me and apparently seen my panicked scramble. He held the door open button and asked what was wrong. I said I was going to the 13th floor and he said ok, it's that button right there (see below for the formation of the buttons). I felt so stupid that it was so obvious, but I still think it was kind of a weird formation!!

To finish the story, he asked if it was just too early and we had some small talk as we continued our long ride up to the 13th and 14th floors. When we got to the 13th floor he said, "this is you, good luck." Which again made me feel like a fool -- but I deserved it.

I got off the elevator and turned to the left because I saw a door and I assumed the reception desk was behind it. Instead it was a door you need one of those employee passes to get through, so I turned around and started walking to the right and you guessed it, the doors to the elevator hadn't closed yet so my elevator buddy saw me pass by. . . .


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just for future reference this is petty typical configuration for elevator buttons, next time take a deep breath and do like Buddy on Elf does, just push them all.