Friday, September 23, 2011

We Interrupt the Regularly Scheduled Programming

My mother once said to someone, "Sarah really likes commercials." I have no recollection of the context in which this was said, and I think it's sort of a weird comment, but I really do like commercials. I like that commercial breaks let you have a chance to run to the bathroom or let you stop and do something else briefly. I like that they're a finite time, so I can run go do something and know that I'm done with that task by the time the commercial is over (hello laundry switch overs). I also just enjoy watching some commercials. Some of them are so well done it's like you've got bonus "shorts" in between your actual show. Below are some ads that I'm currently enjoying.

When I saw this ad, I immediately thought of my friend Meg:





Not only would she totally train a bird and a dog to do that (if she weren't afraid of birds and allergic to dogs) but she re-enacted the music video for ah-ha's Take on Me with our friend Chris at her 30th birthday. The best part of that was when they finished their reenactment and she said to me, "My dad's gonna come over here and ask me if I'm drunk!" Sure enough her father came over and said, "Meg, are you okay?!" Her response, "Yeah, we were reenacting the music video for Take on Me" she then walked away leaving her father standing there with a stupefied expression on his face.


This ad is pure brilliance:




This ad makes me smile EVERY time it comes on:




I love the brilliance of whoever came up with all the random things going down the street, but also the recurring "I could have had a falcon," makes me laugh!


Insurance ads usually suck me in. I like the Mayhem ad campaign, I love Flo and a number of the Geico ads. Here's one of the ones I think is great:






Subaru has had a few ads lately that I have found terribly cute. This one with the little girl sucks me in every time:




I love when she puts the seat belt on her knees and says "Daddy, Ok" In the comments on YouTube, it says that both of the girls in the ad are actually the guys daughters. I hope that's true, it makes the commercial that much better!!


I also like a new ad where a girl who has moved across the country worries about her parents. I can't find the ad right now (I was pretty sure it was a Subaru ad too) but the best line in the whole thing is when she's talking about how broken up they must be because "I'm their only child. . . .except for my sister." It totally sounds like something I might say :).


What ads are you currently enjoying?

1 comment:

hartofak said...

We loved the Target back to school ads, especially the one with the elementary teacher; "...tape (that sticks) and glitter, so much glitter." We always said, "Ambre"
Leah gets mad at the, "Daddy, ok," ad because the girls have different colored eyes.