Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm Back Didja Miss Me?

Sorry, I was doing so well there for awhile with a slew of posted ahead posts (brilliant). Work got really crazy last week though so I was thinking about that most of the week and packing for the trip, but I think I might be back on track for posts again.

Anyway, turns out I needn't have worried about our gift. The wedding has been postponed and it was handled so badly (and I mean really quite badly), we're not going now. . . I spent the first evening of our vacation almost in tears, but that may have been a result of the extreme fatigue brought on by the work I mentioned above.

Late Saturday morning I wanted to cry again, this time a result of getting stung by a yellow jacket. It was not an auspicious start to the family weekend, but things ended much better. One highlight of the weekend was going to a couple of antique shops and finding a slew of golden books. I didn't buy all the ones I wanted (seriously $7.50 for a golden book, what are you smoking?!) but amazon has a fair selection for under $4 and I'll search them more thoroughly at some point.

Speaking of children's books, awhile ago (by which I mean over two years ago -- happy birthday little G) we threw a shower for my friend using children's books for the menu. It looks like I'll get to re-use the idea for someone else and I'm pretty excited about it (just like I was before). You know I love a theme and I love children's books so what more could I ask for? Also, a children's book themed menu is pretty simple since you can usually find a children's book to match. I happen to know this woman loves chocolate covered strawberries, thus we'll have The Little Mouse, the Chocolate Covered Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear

Some ideas we had the first time around were:

Make Way for Ducklings Salad
Deviled Green Eggs and Ham
Three Billy Goat Cheeses Gruff served with The Stinky Cheese Cracker Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Dill Pickles to Pittsburgh
Blueberries for Sal tartlets
Madeline(s)
Goodnight Moon Pies
Ice Cream Cake Larry
Chicken Soup with Rice
Bread Pudding and Jam for Francis
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs-liders
Potato Pancakes for Breakfast with Rain Makes Applesauce topping
The Smoked Salmon Pinwheels Princess
If You Give a Moose a Muffin
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie etc.
Popcorn or The Popcorn Book
Three little pigs in blankets
The Peanut butter, Marshmallow Chocolates Incident
The Giant Jam Sandwich Cookies

What book (or food) would you like to see if it were your shower?

No comments: