Monday, September 19, 2011

Imagine a Menagerie

I want a LOT of pets. I am quite content to be able to leave the room without fearing a little critter will come up and sample my meal while I'm gone. I'm happy I don't have to use a lint brush constantly to rid myself of pet hair. Yet, I still have a burning desire for A LOT of different pets. Below are some of my top choices.

I am pretty serious about my current desire for a King Charles Cavalier (I don't want my husband to mistake that animal's presence on a mostly pipe dream list to indicate that I have stopped believing he will get me a non-bug-eyed specimen for Christmas -- though I am mildly worried that it might be lonely while we're at work).




Source


I would also like a pygmy hedgehog (how can you not be totally charmed by their cuteness?!?). It would be especially good if we could get a circus cage for him! I found out this weekend my husband's second cousin once removed (or something like that) has a pygmy hedgehog, she wasn't really interested in talking to me about it though. At the time, she was busy begging her mother to keep the big toad they'd found.









source & source

Next on the list would be a Neapolitan Mastiff. It's been on my list since my friends and I went on spring break to Seattle and saw one in a boutique on Whitby Island. Despite it's immense size it was very graceful (not breaking anything in the shop) and so gentle and sweet tempered. I think it might be the same breed they used in the Harry Potter movies to portray Fang.




Source


As my mother always said, Jerseys are the prettiest cows. Maybe it's the dairy farmer in my blood, but every time we go to the fair there's a yearning for a Jersey of my own (they're pretty brown eyes rimmed with long lashes, who can resist?). While a full sized cow is definitely not practical for the city, I totally think we should get a Miniature Jersey Cow! Of course they produce 6 gallons of milk a day and have to be milked twice a day, but that just means we'd have to be sure to keep our house fully stocked on cookies so my husband could keep up :).





Source


I've been watching a lot of the Golden Girls lately (sadly it's moved to midnight so it's harder to watch -- COME TO NETFLIX ON DEMAND GOLDEN GIRLS!!) and Dreyfuss from Empty Nest sometimes guest stars on the show. Wikipedia said he was a mutt, but when we were apple picking the other day we saw a dog that looked an awful lot like him. So Leonberger has now been added to the list of must have pets.





Source


So those are my top five, what is on your list (I might have added a rat with a racing stripe down it's back but in searching there were terrifying images of snakes everywhere!!)?

1 comment:

hartofak said...

Think it through:
http://www.npr.org/2011/09/20/140598522/hounded-by-grief-over-a-canine-companion?ps=cprs