Wednesday, September 28, 2011

One of these things just doesn't belong

I read a LOT of blogs. Currently I'm subscribed to 14 design blogs. I don't really do a lot of interior design in our own house since we rent and usually my idea of "design" is to strategically throw my clothes all over the floor. . . So mostly my reading of design blogs is like window shopping.

I've seen things I hate, things that just aren't my style, and things that while I might love them, there's no way I'd be brave enough or savvy enough to try them. Massive use of patterns falls into the latter category. I'm not sure I'd love it if I were actually living in it, but I totally love it in pictures.

I fell in love with Jason Oliver Nixon's Apartment last year when I saw the pictures featured in New York magazine this spring. I was reminded of that apartment because Apartment therapy has been doing a feature on collections and recently they listed patterns as one of the collections (though I was unimpressed with most of the examples they posted). When searching for the room I remembered being so striking I mistakenly attributed it to Jonathan Adler.

While I LOVE so many of Jonathan Adler's pieces, his home is nowhere near as patterned as Mr. Nixon's. There's no reason why it couldn't be, he certainly has a number of very loud (and I mean that in the most flattering way) wallpapers. Jonathan Adler's blog mentioned a room designed by Diana Vreeland that also fits the bill as far as patterns. She said she wanted her living room to look like a "garden in hell." How can you not be fascinated by a description like that?





Source



You may not agree with my love of overwhelming amounts of patterns, and my examples may not be great, but I think it takes a great amount of skill to create rooms with multiple patterns without them all clashing and screaming out against each other. I would never be able to manage it. So, in the meantime, I just look at rooms other brave souls have designed.



What questionable interior design ideas are you mildly obsessed with?