Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Match-Making, or Merely Going Down in Flames?

There was an incredibly amusing article in the NY Times the other day by Calvin Trillin. I sent it to a number of friends, those who pride themselves on their parking skills and those who have been known to aim for one spot and end up on the opposite street (if not the opposite side of town).

While most people responded with thanks, or that's funny, one response was completely unexpected: "There is a boy I think you should get to know here" That's it, one line, completely unrelated to the article I had sent and completely unsolicited.

I responded: Intriguing. I think I will be there in March (not just to meet some boy - C and R are going to straighten out some visa information and since it's around my birthday, they invited me to tag along).

The reply I got back baffled me even more: You are not going to like this boy and he you immediately but it is something that where over a long enough time you might become friends. Whatever. Too soon for you to meet. I don't know.

I responded: Well it sounds like a match made in heaven! I wonder why I haven't put my social life in your hands earlier.

what makes you want to introduce us if you don't think either of us will like the other one and maybe sometime in the far off distance we might possibly be friends if we worked at it?

Dude, I am old and tired, I am not willing to work hard for friendships any more ;).


My friend's response: Pitiful, old, can't take risks, won't change, SOB. Probably not worth it. Why should love take work anyway?

I pointed out that he didn't really promise love, he promised a friendship maybe if we worked really hard at it. Oddly enough, I haven't heard back from him at all.

It's sad when bad things happen to good relationships before they even start :).

No comments: