Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Back in the Saddle, But Learning to Use the Reins

So, it's been a busy first week back.

Saturday after standing in line for over 90 minutes and then being bumped to another later flight because they refused to delay my flight (and then they delayed the flight I was bumped to by 40 minutes) I made it out of Anchorage.

Sunday after flying all day I made it into Boston and then went grocery shopping in a half hearted/flighty sort of way (a way my roommate terms drunk shopping -- though this time I was actually sober).

Monday I caught up on two weeks worth of missed work.

Tuesday I continued to play catch up and was terribly exhausted by the time I got home -- so much so that the thought of making a spread sheet for my Thurs. night group brought me to the brink of tears.

Wednesday I made a stupid budget with terrible numbers and lots of passive agressive comments because I was feeling particularly put upon and bitter (baby Jesus was crying). To make up for it, I was cheerful doing my volunteer work cooking for the homeless and then I treated my roommate to Fajitas and Ritas to celebrate her last Wed. before classes start for her (sadly I was very unhappy to realize a little too late that ritas fit very poorly into my new diet plan).

Thursday I was back out on the common handing out muffins and coffee and chatting with the homeless. That was a good night. Also, I got to go out for drinks after with a couple of friends I hadn't seen in two weeks (and this time was a lot more prepared/wiser about what "drinks" could entail).

Friday One of my small groups hosted a welcome dinner for new people in our church. Usually I am pretty involved with this sort of thing, hosting being one of my gifts. This time I simply brought garlic bread and ran out for appetizers when the original plan for them fell through.

Saturday was a birthday party for one of my best friends in Boston which usually I would have gone all out for. This year I simply showed up and brought some beer (oh, and some pretzels dipped in chocolate both items were left over from the night before, I simply re-purposed them).

Sunday I went ice skating (for about ten minutes before I almost wiped out and almost took out my friend, in the end he and I managed to both stay standing) and then went to church where I met an friend from the common for church.

Monday I folded clothes most of the day and washed my linens and prepared a bag to go to the gym (not to stressful at all, except I couldn't fall asleep till after 1:00am)

Tuesday I managed to make it up and out to the gym and had a decent work out. Now I am sleepy though and not looking forward to small group :). Ah well. It could be a lot worse (and sadly for you, a lot more interesting).

4 comments:

suzib said...

i thought it was all very interesting, yet not new to me since i have been present for almost all of it :)

Girl said...

I love when you are ale to let go and give yourself a break. I am glad to read you didn't get involved with the wecome dinner except to show up and take care of the emergency hors d'oeuvres situation :)

I miss you.

--girl

hartofak said...

Did you notice that Alaska Airlines is spending $18 million to replicate the Anchorage check-in experience in Seattle?

SRH said...

I am surprised it costs that much to replicate the anchorage check in experience. I mean it's not like they were paying a customer service rep to give updates/announcements and they were only paying 5 ticket agents to handle 300 people. It must be the beautiful mint condition baggage check in stands that were unused. I mean it probably costs a lot to put them in, keep them sparkling, cord off the area so no one touches them etc.