Monday, February 5, 2007

Miss Manners on Strike

Saturday I returned to the soup kitchen I described in an earlier post. I dragged another friend along with me and I think she had a decent time as well (though the food was not as incredible as the first time). Anyway, while there, I had a guy come up to me while I was eating (after I had been told to eat because all of the guests had been served) and say: "you shouldn't be eating that, you're fat enough." or something similar. I must have looked confused (not so much over veracity of the comment, I am not in denial, I do know I am fat enough, but more over the unsolicited advice itself). He continued on "I heard you've already eaten three plates of ham in the kitchen." Now I could see he was trying to be funny (the emphasis on the trying -- extrememly trying). I joked back with him about having actually already eaten an entire ham and eventually he moved on. I, obviously, have not despite the fact that my friend told me that guy talks in opposites :).

The other odd and somewhat unmannered event this weekend took place at the superbowl party I attended. While I was there one of my nemeses (shocking I know, but I have quite a few) arrived and loomed behind my chair. He tried to joke and talk with all of the people located in the inner circle of football watchers. Most people waved a hand or grunted recognition. He talked to the friend I had come with who had just been baptized that day and then ignored me (which is fine). My friend went up to get dessert and since I am terribly shy in new social circumstances and I certainly didn't want to end up having to talk to my nemesis I followed my friend. It is important to note that all evening various other people had gotten up from the inner circle and returned to their seats which were saved for them (including the coveted couch seats, which my friend and I were certainly not sitting in). A precedent had been set.

While my friend and I were up getting dessert my nemesis took my chair. It was such an odd thing to do, and really only succeeded in reminding me of his annoyingness. When my friend and I returned to our seats, my friend sat in his original seat and I sat on the floor near him. My nemesis watched all of this and once I had settled on the floor jumped up in obviously mock surprise (I don't think he was going for obviously mock, I think he's just a poor actor) and said "Oh, I have taken Sarah's chair! Here you go." In a way that insinuated that I should be grateful that he had now given it up. It was just so odd. Sort of a weird power trip sort of thing. He hopped over to another seat, making another guy share with him, and then shortly afterward he left and I for one was not sorry to see him go.

Oh, and despite the stories I chose to highlight, I really did have a great weekend. I had a lovely Friday night where a friend came over and made an incredible dinner and then helped me make meatballs. Saturday morning was spent pleasantly at the soup kitchen and then the afternoon was spent with a friend I haven't seen in awhile making cupcakes that look like hamburgers (I'll post a picture later) and then we went to a birthday party that was excellent. It included incredible conversations on amputations, and disturbing ones about bonsai kitties (you can look it up yourself, I am not posting a link). Sun. was spent baking and then attending a friend's baptism and the superbowl party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My only nemesis at parties is generic cheese.