Monday, August 3, 2009

A Kale Free Zone

So, if there were a religious ceremony like Passover (which requires taking all of the leaven out of the house), surrounding kale, we'd be all set. This was the first week since we got the csa that we haven't had kale in our house. While you might not think that's huge, I have a horrible confession, we haven't eaten a single bite of kale since our csa started. While we do manage to eat a good portion of our csa, the kale was always wilted and sad before we got to it (and yes, I know about prepping it and freezing it, my boy did an amazing job of prepping it for freezing but we didn't have space in our freezer that week and then it sat for two weeks prepped and nothing done with it).

This week, on the way home from the csa pick up, we stopped at Allendale Farms farmstand. We loved it. While we'd just picked up our veggies for the week, we still managed to spend $20 at the farmstand getting beautiful purple beans (that apparently taste just like green beans and turn green when you cook them -- the turning colors thing is a neat trick, I just wish it worked the other way for maximum impact), perfectly round zucchini, lovely tiny little plums just slightly larger than cherries and lots and lots of sweet corn. It was a lovely haul.

In other news, I started a load of laundry when I came home tonight, over an hour later (after dinner) I went down and the laundry was off but still full of water. I tried starting it again and it would work for a little bit and then stop. I am convinced there was foul play -- my boy thinks I am insane. Every time our washer has a problem, there's someone downstairs. It's always the same someone. My boy pointed out that tonight I couldn't get it to start up right away like I usually can, so probably it was a quirk with the machine, not foul play. I am not convinced, but I'll keep you posted on whether we get any laundry done tonight or not --aren't you thrilled I'm blogging again?!

4 comments:

hartofak said...

Yes.

littlebeemama said...

i too suspect foul play.

Lawn Slow said...

Peaches are also in season. I have a pie in the oven right now. And a bun.




I'm pregnant.

littlebeemama said...

Btw~ I love kale. And it is so good for you! Although, I like it best with BBQ ribs and baked beans (not so good for you).