Monday, August 24, 2009

Grinding to a Halt

So my friend called and asked how much the minimum bid would be for my mill. The auctioneer said "well what do you think it will go for?" And she said "A substantial amount, I am sure." At which point he became defensive and said he expected the opening bid to be $500,000 and for it to go for $1.2million at least. So that pretty much stomped my dream to death.

I really, really would like to buy the place and preserve it. I would like to run it as a b&b/tiny dairy farm and rent out the wheat/milling part. I even bought a lottery ticket tonight (yes, I know that I would be better off saving the dollar and letting all those dollars add up and then buying my mill 9,000 years from now). I don't even want to hear what my friend Robert, who has figured out at what salary it is no longer a cost effective use of time to pick up a quarter, to hear I bought a lottery ticket, but there it is out there for the whole world to know.

Since buying my mill is as unlikely to happen as my winning the lottery tonight, and, since I haven't lost my entire readership already despite a long hiatus and inane posts, lets think about what I would spend my $252,000,000 on.

First, I would pay off both my, and my boy's bicentennial fund pledges to the church (yes, we've gotten a little behind on that), then I would pay off any remaining credit card debt we had, I would buy my mill and my sister this house: http://www.trulia.com/property/1068642092-1504-Airport-Heights-Dr-Anchorage-AK-99508 Then I would build my boy's parents a dining room and work shop and pay to move my stuff out of my parents house (so my mother will have space for even more furniture :)), We'd send my parents on a cruise to Australia and my boy and I would plan the most amazing circus themed wedding any of our closest 400 friends have ever attended! I could go on, but It's dinner time.

What would you do with the $252 mil if you won?

1 comment:

hartofak said...

I think you should make your move on the mill. You only have until the end of November to close on a house and get the $8000 first time home buyers tax credit.
You're going to need those credits to offset the taxes on 252 million dollars.