Monday, August 17, 2009

. . . How Laid Back Is He?

This weekend we visited my boy's family in rural PA. Among other things, we took our car in to have the water pump replaced (there's a whole story about what a waste that was, or if you're not a pessimist, on what good preventative care we took of our car -- again, that's if you're not a pessimist who was stuck in a car with no ac for 7+ hours in 94 degree weather because you'd already wasted the short overlap of time you and the mechanic had in the same place having the waterpump fixed instead of the ac).

Anyway, while we were waiting for the car to be fixed, also in 90 degree weather, we were stuck in rural Pennsylvania with nothing to do. We walked around the block about three times stopping and looking at a grave yard, twice before we wandered down another road and into a wild animal park. That's right, 15 minutes from where my boy's family lives are lions, and tigers and bears (for real, I'm not just chanting like Dorothy), not to mention alligators, zebras, giant koi, capabara's and many more random, very wild animals.

When I say "not to mention," in the sentence previous, I am serious. I have visited my boy's family numerous times in the two and a half plus years we've been dating and NO ONE. Not one single person (he has a big family), thought to mention that they had a wild animal park a mere 15 minute drive away. I swear to you there have been conversations that have started with me saying "so, what is there to do around here?" with no real response. [edit, my boy claims he's told me numerous times about the wildlife park. . .]

People have always said that my boy is laid back, and I found most of his family to be just as chill (all very good considering I'm kinda high strung), but I am starting to think it's not really a family trait so much as an environmental thing. If you look at the Lake Tobias Wildlife Park website, you will see this: "Any food you bring to feed the animals must be approved by Park Management before you feed it to our animals." Notice that they don't say no outside food is allowed. Nope, they just assume you'll be dragging your ratty (or perhaps zebra-y) food in with you and they're okay with that. Whatever you want. Also, the alligators are allowed to come right up to the fence. I have never been closer to an alligator in my life. My boy pointed out that there was a double fence. I would like the point out that the "double fence" wasn't more than a fingers width apart. I swear if you really wanted to you could get your fingers chewed off. I think the mentality is meh, if that's what you want, that's what you want. Seriously, the most laid back wildlife park I have ever been to.

Final review, well worth the $4.00 to get in, probably worth the $5.00 for the safari ride, but we didn't go on it and we still enjoyed ourselves. If you find yourself stuck in rural PA, with random food just itching to give it to a wild beast now you know , the secret's out!

No comments: