Sunday, August 9, 2009

Uninvited Guest

So in the series of weekly misfortunes, this morning we saw a mouse in our house. Perhaps you didn't hear me, THERE IS A MOUSE RUNNING AROUND OUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I find that far more distasteful than the ceiling falling in, the car being in disrepair or the washer not working. A MOUSE HAS INVADED MY PRIVATE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You probably are thinking that I am inherently against rodents or that I am just afraid of them, but you are wrong. I think mice in the wild are darling. I had a lab rat I trained (Ratcliffe was so smart and cute that we won a prize at a rat rodeo -- if you're interested I might even be able to post a picture of the prize -- I don't know how, but I never got a picture of the rat himself). I also had two gerbils (one of which i adored and one which I was scared of -- rightfully so though, he ended up killing the adored gerbil AND then killing another gerbil and eating part of him).

So here's the problem I see with the mouse in my house. He's a complete stranger who's entered my house unasked and is running who knows where peeing all over who knows what and probably eating anything he wants that we don't have sealed up in plastic lock and seal containers. In other words, the worst possible house guest you can imagine. If a human came in your house and behaved this way, the police would come and kindly take him away for you. But no one (besides an exterminator -- and you my readers) is interested in your mouse problem (not even my boy really, he said to me, what, you live in Boston, you're telling me you've never had a mouse in Boston?!). I mean really, can you imagine the animal control call on that one?! I have a friend who was told animal control wouldn't help her when she had a bat in her house (perhaps it was the way she told them that she didn't mind the bat being in her house so much, except he kept hanging on her curtains and you know that those claws were going to put a run in the drapes -- notice, again, bad house guest etiquette). Unless the traps work soon I am not gonna be a happy camper --and don't even get me started on how I'll feel if I find something worse than a mouse on one of those glue traps!

2 comments:

Elastagirl said...

LOL!!!
Time to get a cat :)

Christina said...

Robert would like to point out that either you are correct--"no one. . . is interested in your mouse problem"--in which case you are writing a boring blog, or else you're wrong, and all your loyal readers are interested in it as well.