Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Weekend

So the quick re-cap for this weekend is:

Friday we went home and had a random dinner of a tub of bbq pork and a frozen pizza -- not our most shining culinary moment. We prepped food for the bridal shower I/we were co-hosting the next day. The menu for the shower was:

tea sandwiches (salami with an olive cream cheese, open faced heart shaped sandwiches with a blue cheese pate topped with two grape halves, and traditional cucumber watercress sandwiches)

tomato, basil mozzarella skewers with a basil/garlic oil

mini-heart shaped strawberry shortcakes (with whipped cream from one of those William Sonoma dispensers)

short bread spoons dipped in chocolate, and sugar cookies shaped like ice cream cones (store bought)

assorted truffles

madelines (made by our other hostess)

banana cupcakes with an INCREDIBLE cream cheese frosting (also made by the other hostess)

tea and a strawberry lime punch

(I think that was it, someone remind me if I am missing something)

Anyway, we held it at the library and everything looked lovely (I had to make a quick run to Crate & Barrel to pick up some things I forgot and a skirt was drenched in oil so suzib wore a towel for a good portion of the shower but by 1:00 we were all presentable and the table looked lovely thanks to the addition of a purple ribbon and some tea cup tealight holders).

Guests started arriving and the party seemed to be off to a good start. Then craziness ensued. Conversation about street outreach was light and interesting (also informative to hear what our friends are up to on other nights of the week). Somehow the conversation turned to spiritual healing though. I mean like revival tent type spiritual healing, as in throw down your cane and walk type healing. A little out there for the more conservative of us, but smile and nod, it's a bridal shower, make nice. . . .

Then Ernie started talking. She's one of the difficult people from my Wed. night group (she's the one in an earlier post who was chasing the other problem person around the kitchen with a dishcloth screaming what did you call me?). She is also the kind of person who keeps randomly saying "Thank you Jesus" as she spreads peanut butter and who truly mourned for Jerry Fallwell last month, because we've lost a great leader in the fight. I am conservative. She makes me look like a Unitarian.

She has a habit of taking over things. She talks and you have to agree because if you argue back she'll keep at you till you wish you had just agreed in the first place because she's not going to change her beliefs and you're going to have to suffer through an even longer discussion of it. She stood up and started talking about her work as a missionary, about how now more than ever Christians should not be divided and how we must keep in our prayers that marriage is between only a man and a woman and that we need to pray for those Christians who don't agree with everything we say so that they can see the truth (that's the point where I lost it, the other two hostesses had lost it already and one had to take a breather). Finally one of the women (such a good soul who I really need to write a huge thank you note to) stepped in and started moving presents and started to say "lets open. . ." When Ernie sensing attention starting to shift said, lets pray and started in on one of her interminable prayers. I walked out at that pt. I was in the hall talking to suzib when I heard the group start to sing. I said, "Oh, it's ok, you can come back, she'll make them sing it three times through and then we can move on" Sure enough, after the third time and much, thank you sisters, thank you jesusing she sat down.

Presents were opened and conversations concluded and everyone (including after much persuading Ernie left).

My boy came over to help with the dishes and then he, suzib and I went to an organ concert. It was good as organ concerts go. The woman was certainly incredibly talented. Not being one for music though, I was slightly bored till the last song (which sounded like a cross between some 60's pop song and a scary carnival). I realized half way through what a great place to pray so accompanied by stately music in a cute little church, I used some of the time to ask God to come in where all the people on my prayer list need him.

We were starving when the concert was over and so bowed out of the reception and dessert and headed into town for sushi (they were busing so it took a long time). We went to Suishaya, my favorite place for sushi in Boston and I ordered far too much, almost an entire roll was left behind :(. We got duk bo kee (a spicy Korean dish with rice cakes and cabbage and in this case crab), an eel appetizer (sizzling grilled eel) a Godzilla roll (basically like a giant caterpillar roll with crab inside --- YUM!!!!!!!!!), a caterpillar roll, a dragon roll, a redsox roll (sort of like a spider roll) and a tempura sweet potato roll.

It was so good and we were sooo full we went home and went straight to sleep.

Sun. I slept late again, not helping at the church picnic like I should have. My boy and I got there three hours after we had first thought to go. We had a good day though, mostly spent sitting on a blanket and talking to friends from the common. Friends from our outreach team and just hanging out.

We went to dinner at Fajitas and Ritas and after consuming a pitcher of ritas Suzib and I stumbled to my boy's house and then home, where again, we promptly fell asleep.

A good weekend over all.

1 comment:

zenith said...

Yum...I shouldn't have read the food list when I was hungry.