Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Make Me a Servant

So last Tuesday night my small group discussed gang violence, and homelessness, two topics that I think are pretty important for an urban church (even if it's not in the middle of Roxbury, Dorchester or Mattapan -- the three neighborhoods identified as being the worst).


The "study" was really good. We had productive conversations about the needs we see, though not great resolution as to what could be done (probably why one of the guys from my Thurs. night outreach said Park Street doesn't do anything but pray -- not true, but I can see why he gets that impression).

I handed out some sheets with info on places offering free meals in the city every day of the week though, so that was a start toward helping fix the problem, I thought.

I sort of monopolized the conversation and probably turned it more into a lecture than a discussion, but I've been bothered in the last week by various congregants being upset with obvious homeless people in our services. . .

I am so glad that the 20 somethings group is focusing so much on volunteering this month. If you get a chance please pray that through these studies our church culture changes slightly so people aren't as bothered by the obviously homeless in our midst. Please pray that the minority of people who are frightened of them have their hearts softened and see what we see on Thursday nights, or even better, what Jesus saw. . . . Pray that the conversations in the other small groups were just as productive, and that hearts are moved to serve.

Also, tonight is Large Group. I wanted to go so badly, one of my favorite pastors is speaking on something I am passionate about. I have a prior engagement though. So please, if you're free and you're in the area (and by some fluke you're reading my blog) GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: