Monday, June 25, 2007

Wedding Bells

Saturday my boy and I were supposed to go to a friend's wedding. My boy has no suit, and we weren't sure of the fit of the jackets he has. I imed him at 7:45 and told him to meet me at the mall at 9:00. I, of course (since I was dependent on a bus), was late. We got there around 9:30 and found that the store we'd planned on was closed. the only store that was open in fact was Sears. Sears had three colors for suits and only one option for style of pants. We bought a nice navy pinstripe. I searched for slacks to match that didn't have pleats but no luck. Four hours before the wedding with no stores quite open yet, we couldn't really be picky.

In the end, I think he looked quite nice. Maybe not as dapper as the best man always does, but much better than either my boy or I could hope to do usually.

We got dressed and headed over to the wedding. There was busing on the green line and we ended up having to get off at fenway and take a bus one stop. My boy was a little disappointed since we could have just walked from his house if I weren't wearing ridiculous shoes. They were sooo pretty though, I don't regret it. We met Megz getting off the train and we killed some time while she chased down the wrap she'd left on the train. Then we hopped on the bus and headed to the church. It was a pretty catholic church, and like most of them was well equipped to keep the eye busy.

The wedding was delayed by the arrival of the couple's pugs dressed in a black and white formal and a tuxedo. When it finally began, the bridesmaids entered in lovely light green frocks, those that were more tattooed than others had wraps. The bride looked radiant in a pretty unadorned gown with a 60s style veil and updo. The priest seemed very appropriate for the couple. He had emo style glasses and a goatee. He was also kind of an ad-libber.

All in all a lovely wedding. We piled into the best man's car and got mildly lost based upon the directions we'd been given. We made it to the town hall though in time to set up final details (though one of the caterers did say as we entered, "I hate it when people show up early"). It was a very pretty reception. Gorgeous flowers and the food was great (ok, the meat was a little over cooked, but the flavor was good). The cake was very pretty, white smooth fondant with little pink and green dots, sort of like candy buttons. There was a good range of music, played by a sufficiently odd dj and there was even some Irish clogging (the bride got up at one point and did some dancing, it was really cute). The favors were licorice scottie dogs with a note that a donation had been made the boston mspca.

The event was all very much like the couple, and so (from my point of view) was pulled off perfectly.

My boy and I caught a ride home with the photographers (wouldn't you know) and had a great time discussing some of the more interesting guests (the Elvira look alike, the woman who looked like she'd stuck her finger in a light socket, the tall girl wearing an extremely short dress, and the woman wearing a two toned cotton candy pink dress with molded bodice and chiffon skirt -- people watching was great at this event).

1 comment:

Elastagirl said...

I looooove wedding descriptions and you are an excellent writer. Sounds very interesting.

Tag, you're it! Check out my blog for the game rules!

Em