Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Bus Ride

While my boy and I were waiting for the bus (which took an unusually long time) another guy waiting for the bus turned to us and said, "you two haven't been dating long have you, what two months?"

I said, "one month this week."

He said "yeah, you're still standing close to each other touching" (for those concerned about the ick factor, my boy had his arm around my shoulder, mine was around his waist).

He went on to do an incredibly funny bit (no idea if he's a comedian or just a ham). He said: "that will wear off, soon you'll be standing here and she'll be standing there," he pointed slightly apart, "we're still talking, but I'm gonna stand here and you can stand there. . . . that's what it will come to."

He also gave my boy advice. He said, "women have a totally different sense of time than men. You can go out with your boys for one night. One night's okay. Absences makes the heart grow fonder and all that but don't go for more than one night. More than one night and she's complaining you're never around, you don't appreciate her etc. One night's okay, not more than that. I went away on a military mission for two days, I got back and my girl said 'you've been gone so long, why were you away that long?' I said 'what?' and she said 'it's been 38 hours, and 49 minutes!!' I said 'babe, I was gone for two days, just two days!!" He continued, "Women have a totally different set of time. You'll go out to get some milk and you'll come back home and she'll ask 'what took you so long, it was 45 minutes to get milk?' You'll say 'well I had to stop at the atm on the way and then when I got to the store I realized that I had to go to the bathroom and then the line to check out was really long and on the way home someone stopped me for directions. . . . .' and then you stop and think to yourself, who am I? What has become to me that I am standing here explaining what I did every minute I was away?!"

He had some amusing thoughts on "that time of the month" his final advice to my boy as he got on the bus (which had finally arrived) was "I have three ex-wives and 12 children and I am currently living with my girlfriend, my advice is get out now -- I mean, good luck!" (so if you're counting he was the second person that hour to tell my boy he should run from any sort of commitment!!

The other thing of note on the bus ride is that a woman from our Thurs. night group got on the bus two stops down from where we got on. I am not sure that she was aware my boy and I were dating. She hasn't come to group consistently since we've started dating and even if she had, often at group we don't sit near each other. . . . She looked slightly shocked but didn't say anything about it. Apparently she promptly called my roommate (who she hasn't talked to in months) after she got off the bus though and I suspect would have asked about us if my roommate had actually picked up her phone :).

No comments: