Monday, January 26, 2009

Very Important

I know it's probably not important in the face of world peace, but somehow it's become a very big deal to me; I am trying to figure out what to do for my 30th birthday. I can't decide what to do, I mean 30 seems big and like it merits something really special.

I have been talking about a deep fried party for a couple of years now. I really do want to have one at some point (basically everyone comes with something to deep fry and share be it candy bars, oreos, korean fried chicken or pizza -- oh the list goes on and on and on). It sounds yummy and seems like such a good idea, both interactive and fun.

The problem is I get sucked into thinking is that how I want to remember my 30th birthday? Don't I want something elegant. . . .

My friend Meg suggested a cocktail party. It sounds fun and grown up and could be totally shi-shi, except we kind of did that at a prohibition party I had a few years ago and while that party was fun, most people didn't end up mixing drinks and so we were left with tons of alcohol (good thing I realized how much I like gin ;)).

I was thinking about an elegant dessert party but, again, my gracious friends hosted a party like that for me a few years ago. It was really really great (I still dream about those brownies Mike Ike made), but if I do it for my 30th, it's sort of a been there, done that feeling.

So nothing seems to fit completely into this vague notion of a spectacular 30th birthday bash that I have (doesn't that sound so terribly childish-- perhaps that should be a hint to me considering I'm turning 30 and should stop obsessing over such nonsense).

Anyway, I am turning it over to you, my loyal readers. Do you have any suggestions? Do you think one of the suggested parties sounds like the best way to ring in my FOURTH decade (I am stupid and wrote third until someone had to email me and point out that not only am I dumb I am old ;))? There's a poll on the side you can click to vote. If you have some brilliant idea not mentioned, please post a comment -- there may even be a reward in it for you!

4 comments:

Elastagirl said...

Hey! Are you having your party right on or around your birthday? I'd love to come (here I go inviting myself, ha ha!) but it might be too soon after Logan's birth for me to feel up to a trip. That and my sister in law is coming for a visit for 2 weeks starting March 12....
I'll vote anyway, though!

Anonymous said...

Ponies!

Anonymous said...

Celebrating a birthday, especially one so significant, is key to living a full life! I think you should have a party where everyone dresses up as you, like their favorite aspect of your personality or what you do, and everyone must talk like you and use "Sarahisms" all night. Then you'd really know it's about you! You could also do the deep fried thing along with this, as you seem to be pulled in that direction.

O.Shane Balloun said...

Take yourself to a local gun store, buy a gun and go to the firing range. Happy 30th!