Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The most annoying bus passenger ever

Scott Adams the cartoonist originally responsible for Dilbert once said (and no, I have no actual proof of this -- I can't find a quote anywhere which might lead you to think he didn't say it, but I am pretty sure he did) that no matter how far he pushed his comic people still wrote in to say that was EXACTLY what was happening in their office and how did he know?! That response reminds me of the 1999 "comedy" Office Space, a movie that in many ways serves as a documentary for office life, at least the office life of several of my friends. . .

All this to say, while I am about to describe one of the most annoying people I have ever had to share a bus with (and mind you I share the bus with him about two to three times a week), you may be able to come up with a more horific story (I know my friend who got a wet willy on a bus ride, and then on a separate occasion had a drunken passenger laid out across her lap will fall into that category). . .

I am not sure how to make this amusing since I find him so annoying but here goes.

There is a guy who rides my bus, he ALWAYS sits on the aisle of the very crowded bus filling the seat next to him with his duffel bag and never once offering to move it or to move over even when people standing practically fall into his lap. He listens to his discman loudly and fidgets. When we hit traffic (which we invariably do since we're riding during rush hour) he sighs loudly and grumbles about the traffic. A stop before the final stop he always tries to stand up and get to the door so he can push his way out before anyone else. If people are standing in the aisle blocking him he sighs some more, or says excuse me in a loud and annoyed way (he gets off at the last stop -- we are all getting off at this stop).

I realize that these are all minor grievances, but every time I have to ride the bus with him, they all add up to me hating him with a passion. I want to stand in front of him blocking his passage out allowing any number of passengers to exit before me (only once have I had the gall to do that and instead of feeling bad, I felt so satisfied. . .).

So yeah, It's been a month since I posted, I have celebrated the birth of The Savior and we've entered a new year but I am still the horrible, person I was when you last heard from me. . . As I used to tell my friend Chris, "it's a new year but I am the same me."

1 comment:

hartofak said...

He's probably rushing home from his frustrating job to take care of his sick wife, and he can't understand why the whole world is continually thwarting him, and why some strange woman would deliberately hold him up. I can't either.
Or maybe he has OCD and an anxiety disorder and just being so close to other people and on a bus terrifies him, and he can't understand how people can be so cruel as to trap him even longer in the middle of his nightmare.
Or he could be a self indulgent jerk, we just can't be sure.