Friday, November 30, 2007

It's not me, it's you, no, really. . . .

When everyone in your life (except you reading this I am sure) is doing annoying things that annoy you, you have to step back at some point and ask, is it me? Am I the one being too sensitive? Is it that I drank too much the night before? Is it lack of sleep? Stress? A vitamin deficiency?

What if you just come to the conclusion, that no, indeed it is just that they're all annoying.

My small group on Tuesday talked about why we fight. According to James, it's because we're selfish and worldly and war because we do not have and think that's how we'll get what we want. As you can imagine, James had a lot of negative things to say about it.

Paul faced with people fighting had this to say in Philippians 4:8-9: Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

I'll try to think on lovely things, I'll try to focus on being pure and hopefully it will help the storm cloud over my head blow over. . . .

5 comments:

hartofak said...

Despair.com points out that the only constant in your dysfunctional relationships is you.

Anonymous said...

I like to think that we fight because other, less-enlightened people are not smart enough to figure out that I am right. However, not everyone shares this (correct) opinion.

I actually have a pretty easygoing nature, so it's not as much of an issue for me. But for the people in my life who are naturally strong-willed or whose personalities tend toward high standards or being exacting or being a maximizer or whatever you want to call it, learning to put things aside and compromise even when they're right has been a major issue in life. Even now, I don't feel like I can properly appreciate how hard it is for them to be willing to stand down even when they're right, to compromise, etc. But it's that or spend their lives miserable...sometimes that's not even an exaggeration.

Your high and exacting standards are something I love and appreciate about you, but I am smart enough to realize they come with a price.

If compromise doesn't work, though, try my patented system: glare witheringly at people and talk to them like they're 4.

Anonymous said...

This is why I like being alone - I only have myself to argue with. It pisses me off when people put being in community on a pedestal, like it's some holy grail of bliss. It can suck, a lot. I think most conflict is simply due to collision. Too many people in too close a proximity.

An old monk once said, "whenever someone challenges me, I calmly respond 'I suspect you may be right' and walk away."

Elastagirl said...

I enjoy reading the comments on your blog almost as much as I enjoy the posts itself ;)

JodyTate@msn.com said...

As Emily and Nathaniel Wilson, I, too enjoy reading the comments on your blog almost as much as I enjoy the posts, however, please, please post more often!! Also, Sadie is now 4 and she understands condescending tones as much as the next person!!! Wish you could see her....