Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jack and the tomato stalk

So we checked on our tomatoes last night. While our other friend is up to two pints of cherry tomatoes, we have only one close to ripe. My boy ended up cutting down several long branches that had green tomatoes on them. Why? Because the tomato plants, instead of putting their energy toward ripening their fruit so that we can partake in the delicious juiciness of home grown tomatoes, are growing absolutely enormous. There are at least three plants that are taller than I am and at least a foot over the 54 inch supports we bought for them (if not two, I want to bring our tall friend over and have him stand next to them!). My boy thinks they're trying to reach the sun since they're in a slightly shady section of the yard. I am starting to think we're on our way to finding a golden goose. My boy prefers the golden tomatoes that we were supposed to have though, so, as I said, he cut the plants back last night hoping to encourage them to re-focus their energies.

Oh, yes, that's right, I am totally counting this as a post even though all I did was talk about tomatoes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My rhubarb did not even bother sprouting this year. I think it misses me. I miss you too, rhubarb!

The dust-bunny harvest, on the other hand, has been especially abundant this year. Can I tithe 10% of that?

SRH said...

Ooh, I think I know where you can get some rhubarb. I was thinking about paying a visit to my old stomping grounds and harvesting!! Also, they've had it at whole foods a lot lately.