Saturday, January 12, 2008

The smell of charcoal in the air

And it's coming from our house (at least it was a couple hours ago, now it's just coming from my boy's sweatshirt).

It's sort of surreal, having grown up in Alaska, to be grilling on the 12th of January. That's what my boy did though (it was unusually warm today). We had lovely scallops wrapped in bacon, steaks and grilled garlic bread (made with roasted emperor's new cloves garlic from trader joe's which I have decided are my new favorites for roasting). Apparently so have other people. My boy just asked me what I was typing about and I told him I was typing about the garlic, then I went on to sing it's praises a little more (it was sort of Christina-esque how long and passionately I went on about such a particular breed of vegetable--is garlic a vegetable?).