Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Begging Take 2

So I know this isn't fascinating since I still haven't even managed to post about Easter weekend and now it was a month ago and the last two (now three) posts have been about begging, but it's what's on my mind now.

I went to a meeting last night where they were giving us a script (and again I felt like phoebe) to call people and remind them to give to our church's capital campaign (it's a good cause, we haven't changed the roof since the civil war). We are the tail end. People have been calling for the last three months. We get to badger the people who still haven't responded. Of course we aren't telling them that, we're just calling with a friendly reminder. I really do believe that this is a good cause and I believe that it's okay as fellow church goers to nudge people to give. It's just interesting to me right now since I have been thinking about the begging for my walk so much.

It also made me think even harder about whether I should send out the reminder emails to the people that haven't responded to my request for donations for the walk. My boy says he only sends the emails out once and whatever happens happens. He doesn't want to appear to be begging. Project Bread, every time I check my progress, urges me to email the people who haven't responded and ask them to send again. . . . .

I met my first and second goals already, but I am only $80 away from my final goal and there are 40 people who haven't responded yet. I kind of want to send them an email saying for less than the price of a cup of Starbucks if you band together you can help me make the $500 goal! Then I think of how it's begging and I chicken out. Anyway, last night's meeting made me think about it even more.

I have decided to tackle my church calls tonight. We'll see how I feel about sending a reminder email out after that :).

Ooh, and in related news, my roomie and I were at the bar near my office for a beer before our meeting and a guy at the bar started talking to us -- he offered us shots, but we declined telling him we were on our wary to church. He asked us more about our church/meeting etc. and we explained and he gave us $10 to put towards our capital campaign. I like the idea of just going to bars and getting the equivalent of two shots worth of money to put towards the capital campaign -- maybe I should have asked HIM to support the walk for hunger :).

http://www.projectbread.org/goto/get_bitter

No comments: