Monday, May 14, 2007

Holy Saturday

On Saturday (the 8th of April -- so I am slowly catching up) my boy and I went to visit his brother and my childhood friend (she claims I am her oldest friend since my mother was her mother's nurse when she was pregnant with my friend).

He and I woke up fairly early (for me) and got on the train with all our stuff (we were spending the night and having Easter there too). We didn't pause for cash on the way because it was just too much to do with all our luggage etc. We made it out to the airport where we rented a car from enterprise (they were really great, the guy was at the gate right when we got off the airport shuttle so we got right on to go to the rental place and we were met by a friendly woman who gave us each a bottle of water and asked us if we needed her to
mapquest anything). We were on the road shortly afterward and I realized we only had $7 After the first tunnel we were down to $3.o0 and fairly quickly we were down to $2.00 (counting all the change we had) so I suggested (screamed, suggested really who's paying attention?) that we get off at the very next exit. It was sort of self serving since the next exit had the whole foods with my absolute favorite wine. . . . After stocking up on some wine and some chocolate rabbits etc. we were back on the road better prepared to honor our hosts and with enough money to make it off the highway without any promissory notes.

We sped toward New Haven (I had no idea how quickly until we got there and my boy's brother calculated how fast -- that did not make me happy!!!!). Anyway, we pulled up to my boy's brother's house and he came out and helped us with our luggage (have I mentioned that I am a terrible packer? I don't know why/how, but I am).

In the bustle I was never actually introduced to my boy's brother. Then my boy went to the bathroom leaving me alone with his brother who said, "so I am Adam, your boy didn't really introduce us" and I said, "
srh, and yeah, I know, he's done that before to me." Adam said, "yeah, we're kind of a socially awkward family. . . ." it was cute.

I had worked hard not to have big expectations for the weekend. I tend to
over plan, having itineraries that are practically laminated with timing and side notes but for this trip I had decided to be "breezy" The only thing I wanted to do was go to ikea (and we didn't actually do that). Adam asked what we wanted to do and the only thing my boy could come up with was a fountain that he wanted to see. We made our way down to the Yale campus and wandered around and around until we realized that the fountain was probably in the construction zone we had circled twice. I was starving by this point. His brother asked once more what we would like to do and I finally let some of my bossy nature show when I said I would really like some food!

We tried for a famous burger shack but it was closed for the day so we ended up at some hole in the wall diner with a
Greek flare. It was pretty quiet, my boy's brother being only slightly more vocal than my boy. I would grasp any possible question or comment to talk as much as I could. At one point in the diner Adam asked my boy if he was going to the family reunion and my boy said he didn't know and I asked what the family reunion was like (it might have been more like: What's a family reunion like? I have a small family so we've never really had a family reunion, well my mom has a big family, but we've never been to a reunion, the closest was one time when we went to a family luncheon and my sister and I were completely snubbed except for one time when someone asked who we were and someone else answered with a sigh "second cousins I suppose" um, yeah, so what's it like?) and Adam said it's pretty much like this, a bunch of us sitting around not really saying anything. . . . and then one saying suddenly I am going to go for a walk (just so they can get out of there) and everyone deciding they want to go for a walk too. -- We really need to bring horse shoes or something this year so we can at least do something! (I suggested board games too, just in case it rained, but perhaps they get out of the reunion if it rains -- I am getting out of the reunion, I have a wedding that weekend).

After lunch we wandered around a little more ending up at the museum of natural history
(which apparently has a triceratops out front with an incredibly detailed butthole -- so I hear). It was an interesting little museum and it definitely took the pressure off everyone trying to talk/accept silence :). On the way home we stopped at both East Rock and West Rock -- where I refused to get out and hike because my feet hurt from all our wanderings.

We got home and collapsed, my boy went to the bathroom and his brother said "you know I have to report back to the
family about you right? Your boy hasn't told anyone about you and my mother called me and asked me what I knew about SRH and I said all I know is he said they were coming to visit me, he didn't tell me anything more. . . ." I said, well am I going to get a good report? He said yeah, I think so and I said is there anything I can do to earn bonus points? and he just laughed.

We realized that it had been five hours since the diner, so we decided to go to texas roadhouse. Yes, I would like to get on my high horse about chain restaurants. Yes, I would like to say I don't like it, that I hate the kitschy atmosphere and the unimaginative food but gosh darn it, I LOVE the cinnamon butter and the rolls and honestly, the meat is really tender. So yes, not terribly brilliant cooking, but good.

I called to invite my childhood friend and she gracefully bowed out (except for the point where she said TEXAS ROADHOUSE?! SERIOUSLY? THIS IS NOT A JOKE?! -- oh, wait please don't tell them that). We waited for quite some time (the beer cart in the lobby closed before we made it to our table but then we stocked up on the cinnamon butter baby!!! Adam had a blue moon with an orange. I said I'd never heard of that and he said it was the way it was supposed to be. I have always had
it with a lemon (in fact tonight I tried it with an orange and I can tell you I like it better with a lemon, it's a stronger flavor).

Anyway, dinner was good and then my boy and I went over to my childhood friend's apt. It was so gorgeous (she mentioned that really I should have a wedding just for the cool presents!). She and her husband have done incredible things with the space and found items they have. They have a pantry to be jealous of (it's
California closet-esque). I swear they should publish and interior design book.

The difference between me and my friend and my boy and his brother was striking. Where the two of them had long pauses the two of us had no spaces. I swear that her husband and my boy simply sat there the whole time while the two of us went back and forth. I had such a good time with her reminiscing and chatting about important ministries/recent events in our life. It was late in the night and finally her husband mentioned bed and my boy looked grateful :).

We went back to my boy's brother's house and I set out Easter presents for the both of them. . .

No comments: