Monday, July 20, 2009

The best laid plans

My boy and I have gotten really round this year. We HAVE to start eating better and actually exercising. I mean really, we do. Our plan was to walk either to or from the train (almost 2 miles I think) every day this week, thing is, it's supposed to rain the rest of the week :(.

So taking control where we can, tonight we went to Costco to start the week of eating out better. I got some mushrooms, and apples and my boy got bell peppers, but we've got an insane load of veggies coming in on Sunday and so we didn't want to buy many Costco size veggies and have no space in the fridge so we moved on in our shopping. We got some whole wheat bread (1 pt on weight watchers, and, as my dad says, utterly tasteless but too cheap to pass up) we got some nice bread for the soup kitchen on Saturday and at this point, my boy picked up chocolate chip cookies. I said "NO! We're eating healthy remember?!" He put the cookies down and we moved on with our shopping.

At the end, when we were unloading the cart, what do I find in there but the cookies!? It's like shopping with a two year old (only the two year old may have better lies). He told me, "I have to get cookies I bought whole milk (a whole other dispute we have) this week from the dairy and I need to use it up." I said "why can't you use it up with fig newtons, they're far less fat?" He then explained to me the intricacies of cookies that you dip and those you don't Turns out, Fig Newtons aren't dipping cookies. Needless to say, somehow with that logic, he won.

Tonight for his bednight snack he had a number of cookies (far more than I thought he should have). After he went to bed, I got hungry and decided to have an apple. Thing is, in the kitchen I got distracted and I was 3/4 through a cookie before I remembered what I was really in there for (geesh, I don't even have ambien to blame). Can I just tell you though, DAMN Costco knows how to make a chocolate chip cookie (the fact that our house is still 80 degrees probably helps since the chocolate was all melty and perfect). It was so good, it's hard for the guilt to really set in, course I wish the self-control would step up. . . .

2 comments:

Drawn Go said...

Don't get me started on their rugelach, because I will finish it all.

Elastagirl said...

Oh yes, Costco knows how to BAKE! ooohhh yummm!