Monday, October 8, 2007

And to Think that I Saw it on Mulberry Street

My boy reserved October 7th far in advance. I had already planned something for us on the sixth, but a month out he asked for the 7th. I asked him what we were doing assuming that it was something with his 30 something friends. He didn't respond to either email when I asked. Later I asked him in person and he said it was a surprise.

Time went on and I asked more questions. He said, "you said you liked surprises, don't you want it to be a surprise?" I do like surprises, but then I get scared that whatever someone thinks will be a pleasant surprise won't really be that great and I am terrible at feigning enthusiasm (just ask any number of my engaged friends).

I had said I'd like to go to water fire on October 6th and that we could have that as a day just the two of us, but as the day approached I was more worn out/tired/sapped of energy and we decided just to cancel.

Sunday came and I was still tired and didn't really want to get out of bed for church. I am glad I did though, the sermon was good and on a section of John I like (Peter being asked three times if he loved Christ, as if to redeem him for the three times he denied Christ. I LOVE Peter, I love his enthusiastic/impetuous love of Christ). It was Communion Sunday and the pastor tends to run long anyway. My boy looked at his watch several times. As soon as church let out we pushed our way out using every short cut we knew. I asked if we were in a hurry. My boy tried to play it cool. It was obvious we were in a hurry.

We got on the train to North Station, and I guessed our destination. He was taking me to the Circus. He had gotten the best seats in the house. We were practically on the stage. It was amazing. He even offered to buy me the cotton candy (I LOVE cotton candy) several times, but I refused, because I cannot support charging $10 for cotton candy even if you get a cheap hat thrown in. I was also disappointed that the circus is no longer three rings. But the motorcycle globe and the trick horse riding was as good as ever (though the Canadian mounties had some better formations at their show at the fair :)).

After the circus my boy took me to dinner at this cute little place in the North End where we were practically by ourselves. The food was good and the service great (since there was a guy at a table for one and one family downstairs).

We finished by getting cupcakes at lulu's (not as crowded as mike's or modern) and went home where I took a nap and my boy watched the game.

A perfect day.

P.S. After that last post, I promised my dad and my best friend I'd be back to my bitter self, so here's a tidbit for them. While at the circus I told my boy I'd only been to Ringling brother's once as a child and the two things I remember from the show are being so excited about seeing the unicorn and my dad leaning over and saying, "it's just a goat with a horn glued to its head." and then my cousin getting a sno cone and I wasn't allowed to have one (in retrospect it's probably because it cost so much). My boy bought me a sno cone in an elephant stein. We carried it proudly for the rest of the day.

2 comments:

hartofak said...

I'm just saying, if you call your blog BHGBPR, then you can't always be so upbeat. It's unsettling.

In 1907, the Ringlings finally purchased their largest competitor -- Barnum & Bailey Circus -- after more than a year of discussion and negotiation and The Greatest Show On Earth® became the property of the Ringlings for a price of $400,000.

Which they recouped by selling an extra sno cone.

Anonymous said...

Motorcycle globe kicks ass!!
Clowns = nightmare fuel