Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rhubarbary. . . Rhubarbarian. . .

My roommate found an early batch of rhubarb in Stop and Shop (they now, a month later, have three pieces at Shaws) and she and I excitedly rented a zipcar to go purchase it. I don't actually like rhubarb and I don't think my roomie is that partial to it, but our friend John Doe (the one who gave us the best Valentine's Day present ever) LOVES rhubarb. He NEVER has favorites. NEVER! It gets annoying, since I am a little like Buddy the Elf when it comes to favorites I am ready to accept almost everything (of course on the flip side, I hate a lot of things too). Anyway, just like Mikey and the Life cereal, John Doe let it slip once, that rhubarb pie was his favorite so any time we see, hear or think of rhubarb we think of him.

We invited him and another friend from our Thurs. night group over on April 2nd to make a rhubarb pie, to eat tacos and watch the Hebrew Hammer (no it doesn't necessarily go together, don't over think it). My boy's mother sent us her recipe for rhubarb pie so that's what we tried. It was very different from the joy of cooking recipe but I liked it (ok, in all honesty, I had the crust with a little sauce and not much of that -- I hate fruit pies).

Anyway, it was a lovely, laid back evening and John Doe had two pies to take home with him when he left (not sure that he actually wanted to, but he did take them).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rhubarb is like the pearl of great price...she sold everything she had and bought it. John Doe? Really? Can he have a better alias please?

The taco proper is the only way to eat a proper taco. Tacos so good, you've gotta give 'em props!