Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Remind Me Again Why I DON'T Live in Seattle?!?!

You guys, I cannot deal with today. The two silver linings I see are, we got to have a pleasant dinner out with our friend from NJ using a gift certificate given to us by another friend AND that the elevator at work was inspected YESTERDAY.

Today started with pouring rain, I say started but it was really just a continuation of weather from the past two days. I don't mind rain terribly I loved the weather Monday, I wasn't disappointed on Tuesday and today I was fine until 3/4 of the way into my walk where my pants were completely soaked through so that now my underwear was wet, my jacket had sprung leaks and I couldn't see because there was soo much water in my eyes. Still, I thought, it's not terrible, being wet is better than a lot of things. My socks, however, were only wet on top. Two doors down from my office, there was an unavoidable puddle. My feet were sopping. When I got into work I took off my shoes and there was standing water in them! I was still dripping, still having a hard time seeing from the water still pouring off me. I spent some quality time in the bathroom with a hair dryer, it didn't help much.

I was wet until about noon. At about 12:30 today our elevator stopped working. I feel like you guys might see where this is going. I didn't. I blithely thought the elevator people were fixing the issues the inspector had pointed out yesterday. After a few people stopped in to mention that the elevator wasn't working I went down to the basement still sure I'd find elevator people busily working. Why WOULDN'T I think that? We've put in Two new sump pumps since our last disaster. Well my friends, it turns out that two more sump pumps (for a total of three) is still not enough!! There were only two inches of standing water and it wasn't everywhere, so that's better than the four inches we had before, but still depressing.

After that fiasco my feet were wet again and they didn't dry out for the rest of the day. We met my friend, as I mentioned and it seemed like maybe today was looking up. You know, I sort of felt like the Facts of Life theme song was playing in my head.

When I got home tonight, there was an impressive little bulge in the ceiling. Like the basement, it to was far less impressive than the absolute low point of ceiling falling in on me this spring, but it still wasn't great. Once poked, the water was about three inches high in the five gallon bucket we held under it. needless to say, the theme song in my head has changed slightly.

1 comment:

Emily C. said...

OMG! I'm having a terrible week too, so far. But most of that has to do with summer being over and me having to teach at 8am, both of which are sort of occupational hazards I guess. But I will be grateful that I haven't been soaked by rain and that my ceiling is not falling in.