Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Spirit of the Season

So yesterday after witnessing a truck rip the head lights off about three cars and having a mad man run screaming toward me in a separate incident, not to mention the many cars running red lights and honking needlessly at traffic, I decided that it's a miracle that more people aren't killed in mass murders, carjackings or just general knifings this season.

It's amazing actually that people still purchase gifts based upon how upsetting and hateful people in general are, not to mention the HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE of some organizations (I mention no names for fear of giving them any sort of positive advertising after 8 weeks of waiting for the product they charged for and now having to dispute the charge because of general unresponsiveness).

Today though, I found much joy reading this New York Times article explaining secular reasons for the season (or at least the reasoning behind the ubiquitous Christmas sweater). Please read this article, I hope it brings as much joy to you as it has to me.

Before realizing how blog worthy the article was I sent it around to some friends. Here were some choice comments that they provided along with some of my favorite parts of the article:


I like that kittens are great for Christmas sweaters because they're non-denominational and everyone loves them except dog lovers not to mention that fewer people are allergic to cat sweaters than to cats.

THEY TRAVEL THE WORLD FOR IDEAS AND THEY COME UP WITH CATS PLAYING WITH STRING?????? WHERE DID THEY GO? AN OLD SPINSTER'S HOUSE IN SOUTH DAKOTA? I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY TURNED IRONWORK IN PERU AND ASIA INTO CHRISTMAS SWEATERS!

YOU GUYS CHRISTMAS HAS THE WORD "CAT" IN IT AND CAN BE REARRANGED INTO "RAT SCHISM" SO KITTY SWEATERS ARE TOTALLY THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!

Chickadees are the new it bird because they are found all over the country but most importantly they're small so you can fit more on a sweater.

My favorite sentence is a death match between the one that uses the word intarsia and the one about how Chickadees is almost the American bird. Like it's just about to get approved by the INS so it won't be deported anymore because it's such a likable and productive member of our ecology.

I love that each sweater must match denim or black VELVET pants.

I also love the repeated refrain they make you smile.



So no matter what part is your favorite, I think you're agree that this article is a terribly good one. Please feel free to post your favorite part.

2 comments:

hartofak said...

Even after reading the definition of "intarsia" I still didn't understand it and it's underlined in red by my spellchecker. I also didn't understand the thing that they contrasted intarsia with in the definition.
I wonder if you could wear black velvet pants with a picture of Elvis singing Blue Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I went to a "sweater party" last weekend wherein everyone was supposed to wear a tacky holiday sweater. Apparently one girl didn't get the message because her outfit consisted of low-cut silver wrapping paper. I suggest this should be the new tradition.