Thursday, September 27, 2007

What Are You Afraid of?

Last night I saw a snake.

I am rational enough to know it was a small snake.

I am still squirmy today though.

I was on the phone with my mother and I exclaimed (but did not scream) "oh, there's a snake." My mother said what? and I said, "there's a snake, I just walked right past a snake, it was small but it was a snake." My mother, who hates snakes far more than I do said, "ew, ew, ew" I pointed out she was 6,000 miles away and that it couldn't possibly come near her. She still didn't like it.

She went on to tell me a story about a tv show she watched on a snake doctor though. While she thought it was gross it was so fascinating she couldn't turn it off. The man heals snake bites, but also keeps a garage (since his wife made him move them out of the house when they had a baby) full of poisonous snakes (perhaps for use if business gets bad?).

After awhile I asked her to stop talking about it. She asked why and I said because I've now seen a stick and nearly jumped and a leaf blew across the ground and I almost screamed, I'd rather not talk about snakes any more. She laughed at me.

I pointed out I didn't even yell when I'd seen the snake and she should be proud, she said she was and pleased I hadn't blown her ear off on the phone. So she switched to talking about weddings and still today every so often I feel a shiver go up my spine as I think of the snake slithering by.

I don't like snakes.

5 comments:

hartofak said...

Well no wonder,
"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

KristyWes said...

I am afraid of identical twins. To any identical twins who may be reading this, I assure you it's nothing personal!! I just get freaked out by your same-ness.

Elastagirl said...

I am TERRIFIED of spiders. 4 days ago a giant spider was sitting near my shoe and I didn't notice it until I bent down to pick up my shoe.....I still get tingles on my neck every time I am near that spot in the basement where the spider was....even though the rational likelihood of another spider being in the same spot is very low!

littlebeemama said...

Ugh, I don't like snakes either. You were so brave!!

I also dislike all things rodent, including the rude fat squirrels that randomly attack in the Public Gardens, b/c the silly tourist keep feeding them.

SRH said...

omg, I have been attacked by a public garden squirrel before. It came up behind me and pushed me from behhind. My roommate said it was b/c it was jealous and wanted to be with my boy -- mind you he does have a picture of a squirrel in his cube, and not one of me.