Friday, October 30, 2009

You Don't Want to be in Love. You Want to be in Love in a Movie

Sleepless in Seattle is on right now, and I sort of watch it with a contented sigh. Even though most of the movie is spent talking about how you shouldn't believe in romantic comedies, the moral is deep down they really do come true. I was thinking about romantic comedies earlier today when someone mentioned they were going to watch The Proposal. I haven't seen it and don't know much about it, my romantic comedy watching has been severely curbed since I started dating my boy.

Tonight my boy and I ate dinner in my bed while watching an episode of The Waltons (Sadly not a terribly uncommon Friday night occurrence). After dinner, I looked over and he was sitting up with his hands folded across his stomach and I looked down at myself and realized I was in the same position. I said, "look at us, such a hot young couple." He said "yeah, fat and watching tv, that's us."

Sigh, I know life isn't like the movies, but sometimes, just sometimes I wish it were. I mean yeah, there are usually really huge problems like you end up finding out you have your new love's dead wife's heart but there's a lot of laughter and the ending is always happy, it's always right, everything always works out. . . .

If you can't tell, my melancholy returned this afternoon. There was no real pre-cursor, no instigator. I'm just sort of mopey again and everything that goes wrong seems like a bigger deal. . .
I'm watching Monk now, he's my style, OCD and sort of depressed :). In the meantime, I'll think back on two Thursdays ago when, after working late, I came home to a note from my boy : "There is a pizza & a surprise in the fridge, I love you [your boy]" The surprise was some cake which in my stressed out crazy work week I'd wanted for a number of days. I almost cried, it was the sweetest gesture I could imagine at the time. Maybe I do have the makings of a romantic comedy after all.

1 comment:

hartofak said...

We're watching Monk right now! Thanks for no spoilers along the lines of "Is Tom Hanks dead yet?"