Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Birthday Party Was a Disaster. . . .And Other News. . . .

So my party didn't turn out at all how I pictured it. My family makes fun of me because of my "pictures." They refer back to Lost In Yonkers and compare me to Bella. . . . My Best Friend told me in High School, never invite me to your wedding, I don't want to be there when you have a melt down because it's not how you picture it.

I didn't have a melt down (at least not a complete meltdown) on Saturday, but I mentioned a couple of times it wasn't how I pictured it. The party lacked organization, it lacked thought, it lacked food when people arrived and it lacked the proper equipment and instruction. . . So many things went wrong including poor timing on food which resulted in a glut of food left in our refrigerator and in the cooler we'd set up on the back porch. Every day since, we have had to come up with recipes to use up the massive amounts of fruits vegetables and fish we have left. It's a race to see who wins (general entropy of mold and rot, or us). It's also a reminder at every meal about how disappointing the party was.

Don't get me wrong, the lack of organization, the lack of food etc. none of it was the result of laziness on anyone's part (least of all my boy or suzib) it just happened. Also, the guests at the party were incredible, pitching in where needed being easy going and undemanding. Constantly complimenting and giving me even more wonderful gifts to add to the post before. I felt like I had failed my guests though, both with the food/planning issues and then with my inability to mingle, saying goodbye to some guests I'd only said hello to. . . . It was just a sad state of affairs.

The one good thing to come out of the party (besides the presents and knowing my friends really are chill and fun people) was a grasp of how loved I am by my boy. He had gotten up at 6am to take me to the library Saturday morning where we sat for over an hour waiting for work to be completed. Then he spent insane amounts of money on all of the food that now sits mocking us. He worked hard all day steadily chopping, stirring, cooking etc. and he took it as I got more and more shrill and panicky. He didn't demand attention at the party he'd worked so hard on and he didn't complain when he was kept up late (though he did fall asleep during the after party movie some of us watched ;)). I had time to think about all this as I was doing dishes at 1:30 in the morning. I am truly blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sean's a mensch. Put a ring on that one, honey.

Elastagirl said...

The party itself sounds really disappointing (I'm with you about having a "vision" about something and then being disappointed!!!) but I got choked up as I read your words about your boy. He's a keeper!

Anonymous said...

The party was fine. Do you really think anyone was not impressed by that spread?

Ben said...

We actually thought the party was a great success. I had the late night munchies last night, and what better snack, than the perfectly steamed dumplings from your party! Everyone over on our couch were stuffed like little piggies, so no issues there!! Thanks again for the invite. (And yes, Sean is a keeper!)

zenith said...

I have a suspicion it's not nearly as bad as you think it was...not that I'm calling you "neurotic" or anything but you tend to have grey-tinted glasses on a lot of the time...

Sorry it didn't turn out how you wanted, though.