Monday, July 2, 2007

Stop the Maddness

The burglar alarm here at the library has been going off sporadically since 9:00 (well for longer than that, I have just been here since 9:00). At 10:15 it decided to spice things up and the alarm in my office (and I believe the offices above) has gone steadily every since. We called ADT (if I haven't mentioned it already on this blog, I HATE ADT. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,NEVER use ADT. They are a terrible company. They're unresponsive (by which I mean that they don't give a damn). ADT said it was our phone system. Verizon sent someone out 30 min ago (ADT said that the soonest they could send someone was next Monday). Our phone lines are all in perfect working order.

We called ADT back and they said if we paid an up front emergency fee of $300 we could get someone out. That was 30 minutes ago (after 6 phone calls and I was hung up on twice). Still no sign of ADT.

The other librarian here just came back from dealing with Verizon. She said (with a slightly manic look on her face) if you stand in just the right spot in the stairway it sounds almost like a song because everyone's alarm is just slightly off.

I am going to call other alarm companies now. I can't stand this one minute longer. I hope that the building can cough up the $10,000 it will take for a new alarm company to come in. Perhaps it's good that the alarm is making noise constantly -- it will make the cost of the new alarm company easier to swallow.

No comments: